Prana + Ayama
Prana – fundamental force behind life/ Breathe
Ayama – To control
The phrase Pranayama is a combination of two Sanskrit words ‘prana’ meaning breath and ‘Ayama’ meaning control.
Study of Pranayama is to gain control over the breathe. Once you have control over your breathe you can control all health components (Physical, Mental and Spiritual).
In the art of controlling the breath, there are various forms and ways of how the control is done. These forms make up the different types of pranayama.
How Breathing Process Affect Body and mind
Did you ever notice it- when you are angry you breathe in a different way. When You are afraid- you breathe in a different way. You are suffering from a disease your breathe will changed.
All Feelings in our body are caused by release of chemicals and for release of any chemical in body, breathe needs to be changed. Everything in our body is controlled by breathe.
Try to breathe normally and you will not be able to become angry/afraid.
So either change the mind and the breathing will change or you can do the opposite- change the breathing and the mind will change/body will change. It has to be changed.
If you will change the breathe to normal, the disease/stress/fear has to be disappear.
Important Types of Pranayama
Where Should We Perform Pranayama
1. Pranayama techniques should be practiced while sitting on the floor on a folded blanket.
2. While doing these pranayama the back should be kept erect from the base of the spine to the neck and perpendicular to the floor. Bad and poorly performed posture will lead to shallow breathing and low endurance.
3. These exercises should be done with empty stomach.
Best Time to Perform Pranayama
1. The best time for practice is the early morning, preferably before sunrise when the pollution is at its lowest level, and the body and brain are still free.
2. If morning is unsuitable, pranayama may be practiced after sunset, when the air is cool and pleasant.
3. The place suitable for all kinds of Yoga must be clean and calm.
To Read This In Hindi – Pranayam in hindi