The word bahya means outside in Sanskrit. This pranayama is so called since performing it involves holding of breath upon breathing out. In a way, it can be seen as holding the breath outside. It is usually carried out by forcibly breathing in, then out and holding your breath for awhile before breathing in again.
The primary objective of bahya is to improve the health of the lower body. Specifically, it helps improve abdominal health, prostate health, and groin health.
Its practice can help lower risks of prostate cancer, uterine problems, ulcers as well as a perfect for a host of urinary track problems. In general, bahya can be said to significantly improve the health of reproductive system organs.
How to do Bahya Pranayama
- Sit in the padmasana (Lotus pose) close your eyes keep your spinal cord and head erect.
- Breathe in deeply (inhale).
- Then Exhale completely.
- After exhale hold your breath.
- Try to pull your stomach upward as much as you can, pull up the muscles in the area below the navel.
- After that move your head in down position so that your chin touches your chest.
- Hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Assume that all your negativity is being expelled from your body.
- Then relax and get back to starting position.
- In case you are suffering from neck and back pain, do not move your head down. Just look straight.
- Repeat this process for five to ten times.
Benefits of Bahya pranayama
1. It improves the digestive power and is beneficial in stomach ailments
2. Constipation, Acidity, Gastric problem,Hernia cure completely
3. Beneficial in problems related to piles, fissures, thyroid, throat, regenerative organs, uterus and urinary disorders, prostrate problems are also cured.
4. Problems related prostate get cure and highly beneficial for diabetes and hernia also.
5. It Cures problems related reproductive organs , urine and sperm.
6. By practising the bahya pranayama our body gets refreshed , revitalised and renewed.
7. It makes the intellect sharp and subtle.
8. Lungs get more oxygen and more carbon di oxide is exhaled away.
9. Practise of bahya pranayama reduce the extra fat of our body.
10. This is highly beneficial for meditation , dhyan and samadhi.
11. Body becomes more flexible and smooth.
12. Chakras open more easily with the help of bahya pranayama.
13. It increase the efficiency of our immune system.
14. Muscles become more strong with the help of this pranayama.
Precautions of Bahya pranayama
1. Pranayama should be done on empty stomach having gap of 5 hours between practice and your meal.
2. Patients of heart, blood pressure and cervical, colitis should not perform this.
3. Women should not practice bahya pranayama during period.
4. Pranayama should be done on empty stomach having gap of 5 hours between practice and your meal.
5. Those suffering from heart problem, blood pressure and cervical colitis should not practice. They can control this by practicing other asana and pranayama.
6. Practice should be under expert guidanace.
7. Women should not practice bahya pranayama during period.
8. It should be done after kapal bhaati.
9. We should do this pranayama in the posture of padmasan or siddhasan.
To Read This In Hindi – Bahya Pranayama in hindi