Udgeeth is often also referred to as Omkari Japa, which literary means chanting of Om. It is one of the simplest and most practiced of all the pranayamas. In English, it is mostly called ‘breathing exercises. ‘
Udgeeth is the art of breathing consciously and involves chanting Om. This is intended to awaken the mind and rejuvenate it. In so doing, one becomes conscious of the actual potential of oneself.
How to do Udgeeth Pranayama
- Sit on the Padmasana and Close your eyes, Your spine should be straight.
- Breathe deeply through your nose till diapgram is full with air, and exhale.
- While exhaling chant the word Om.
- Make sure to keep the sound of “O” long and the “M” short (OOOOOOOOm). Udgeeth Pranayama is very simplest pranayama among all pranayama.
Benefits of Udgeeth Pranayama
1. It calms the mind and bring stability.
2. We become more positive on everything, no negativity remains in our body as well as in mind.
3. Udgeeth pranayama is very beneficial for eyes, a beautiful attraction appears in eyes by practising it.
4. This pranayama reduce the ageing effect.
5. Lungs get more oxygen and more carbon di oxide is exhaled away.
6. Udgeeth pranayama is very beneficial in the opening of chakras.
7. It purifies the body internally as well as externally and activate the energy.
8. It relieves tension, anger and anxiety.
9. Excellent breathing exercises for meditation.
10. Effective against hypertension.
11. It cures problems related to sleep (Insomnia) and bad dreams.
12. Control the high blood pressure and cure it.
13. Cures the problems related to the nervous system.
14. It cures the problems related to cough and acidity.
15. Improve memory power and decision making power.
Precaution For Doing Udgeeth Pranayama
1. Should be practiced under expert guidance.
2. Sound of Ooooo and Mmmm should be in proper ratio.
3. In this pranayama the inhaling and exhaling duration should be long.
4. Should practice pranayama on an empty stomach.
5. Having gap of 5 hours between yoga practice and your meal.
6. Better to practice in the morning in fresh air.
7. body should be comfortable in that particular posture.
To Read This In Hindi – Udgeeth Pranayama in hindi